[DeTomaso] Oil temperature and wear

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Feb 7 00:11:17 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/6/09 11:35:42 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> http://www.elephantracing.com/techtopic/oiltemperature.htm
> It looks like they think above 250 really accelerates wear.  It that a common
view?

I'd think so, since std motor oil loses so much viscosity at that temp, its
like water. Plus, if as is commonly done, you measure the oil temp in the oil
pan, there are areas within an engine that see much higher temps- one article
by an oil company with a fully instrumented V-8 found temps in the main and rod
bearings were an average of 70 F hotter than the oil laying in the pan. Std
oil starts to char around 290 F. Synthetic is thinner to start with, gets even
more so at 250 but the char temperature is maybe 50 F higher than regular.
This may be enough to save an engine that spikes to 290. FWIW, 250 F in the pan
means 'take some of the load off the poor engine for awhile'! My 2¢- J DeRyke