[DeTomaso] Two things questions

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Thu Aug 20 19:35:50 EDT 2009

Dear Bill,

           In my opinion........................

          The body paint in the engine bay looks fantastic.  That is the
good news.   The bad news is the upkeep.    That beautiful painted surface
is subject to wear and scratches  from the rear tub if it is used.   As you
point out, it is at risk in the event of any engine bay wrenching, either
minor or major jobs.

           A more proletarian rear bay in flat black or bedliner is less
sexy, but obviously holds up well to the actual environment of the engine
bay: heat, dirt, petrochemicals, rear tub, and occasional mechanical jobs.
It is less expensive.

           You makes your choice and pays your money.

           Regarding your crate engine, IMHO, I would dyno it.   It will be
on or in a crate.   Have it delivered to the dyno shop.  They can break it
in on the dyno.   The dyno run will let you ascertain that it runs the way
it is supposed to; there are no problems; nothing is leaking nor obviously
defective.    The dyno will let you know exactly what the power and torque
specs are and it will permit the dyno operator to check that the timing is
optimal and that the carb is properly jetted.  You could even have them
check a carb spacer for a tad bit more power.   Once the test is over, you
will know *exactly*  what you have and you will know that all you need to do
is to bolt it in and then proceed to drive and enjoy.    It does cost money
to do the dyno, but it is a bargain compared to the cost and headache of the
belated discovery of *any* problem after it is bolted into the engine bay.

                        Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles