[DeTomaso] NEW YORK DETOMASO PANTERA

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat Apr 25 21:48:18 EDT 2009

Just a personal opinion here... I HATE Penzoil.  I would sooner run any
other brand even without Zinc.  I can't stress enough how much I HATE
Penzoil.  It's fine for Tractors... but NOT for Panteras.

If the car is at Pantera International... spring for some decent oil
like Motul, which they should carry.  I'd sooner run Castrol GTX than
Penzoil.  I HATE Penzoil.  Last I recall it is paraffin based, it loves
to gum things up.

If you choose to run with the Penzoil, you are on the right track
thinking of changing it in Texas.

The rear wheel bearings take more time and effort to change.  Will they
have the car done in time?

Make sure they double-pin the distributor, to make sure it doesn't end
up shearing on your half way through.  You might want to carry and extra
pin in case they won't do that for you.

Does it have an electronic ignition, like an MSD?  If so, carry a spare.
Carry and extra air filter.  Never know when you might need it.  Engines
don't run so well without air, ask our friend Steve.

Might be a good idea to carry a jug of water and/or coolant.  Check it
early, check it often.

Thank you for posting the schedule.  That will give other owners an
opportunity to help you out if needed.

Good luck and happy trails.

Asa Jay
Did I mention I HATE Penzoil?