[DeTomaso] 351C (ignition) timing

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 13 01:36:01 EDT 2009

True, with some additions.

Hook the vacuum advance to ported vacuum (zero at idle, only vacuum once you
give it a little bit of gas).  If you hook it to manifold vacuum, the idle
hunts up and down.

Vacuum advance give 3-4 more mpg, plus it's quieter at cruise speeds, so
there's less droning.  It doesn't generate near as much heat, either - at
cruising speeds.

At WOT, it's exactly the same as no-vac advance.

Throw the factory vacuum advance in the trash can - the one with two lines.
Better yet, sell it on ebay for $500.

If you're setting the total advance by revving it up to 3500 rpm and shining
the timing light, unhook the vac advance line first, otherwise, it'll show
50+ degrees.

If you're setting it like I do, it doesn't matter. I set it so it's hard to
crank, then I back it off just a tad.  If it pings, I back it off a little
more.  That's where my car runs the best.  Who cares what the total advance
# is?

By the way, at our dyno day years ago, my car made slightly less HP at 12
initial, 36 total (mech advance on a Mallory is 24 - if I recall correctly).
I left it there since it should have been less ping-prone.  I stopped on the
side of the road on the way home and advanced it back where it was.  It ran
like crap at 12 initial.  It runs great at 16-18 initial.