[DeTomaso] 351C (ignition) timing

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 13 01:20:49 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/12/09 21 53 33, artstephens at verizon.net writes:

>      It sounds like we sacrifice performance by running vacuum advance?
> would imagine we have no vacuum advance at WOT?  If that is the case,
> let's
> say we subtract 8 degrees of vacuum advance from the 36 total,  leaving us
> with 28 at WOT.

I don't think that's the way it works.   There are many other people who
know far more about such things.   But I think you set a vacuum advance
distributor with the vacuum disconnected, so that the mechanical advance is
(whatever).   Then, with the vacuum hooked up, it goes even further advanced.

So under part-throttle cruising, you might have what on the surface would
seem to be ridiculous amounts of advance, i.e. 50+ degrees.   But as soon as
you boot the throttle, the vacuum drops to zero, the vacuum advance goes
away, and you're left with your full 35 degrees or whatever of mechanical
advance.

True?   Or not true?