[DeTomaso] 1972 pantera

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Wed Apr 1 17:23:36 EDT 2009

Robert,

First of all, we all can feel your frustration and encourage you not to quit.

You are working with a 30+ year old car and what can sometimes be
described as a finicky induction system.  Many of us have been there,
so just keep asking questions and we'll help you out.

The best advice right now is to take a similar carb off a known good
running engine, put it on yours and see if that cures it.  If it does,
then you know you have a carb problem.  If it doesn't, then you know
there is something more sinister at work, like a timing chain off,
distributor gear twisted on the shear pin, things like that.

I hate to see you keep chasing the carb without really knowing it's
the problem.

Let folks know where you are, what city, what state.  There just may
be some other owners who can come over and lend a hand.  You might see
if there are any muscle car clubs in your area, like  Mustang club.
They will usually have some 351C people who can lend a hand as well.

Things mentioned before but bear repeating:
- Make sure your float levels are low, not high.  When you pull the
fuel bowls, sometimes you tweak the float levels, check them.
- Screw in the idle screws all the way.  Just bottom them, -don't-
crank on them.
- Back out the idle screws about a half to three-quarters of a turn.
- Make sure the choke is wide open (you're in a garage and it should
be warm enough you don't desperately need the choke.
- Make sure the air filter is clean (be careful if you are not running
the air cleaner, backfires have been known to ruin marriages after the
garage fire takes out the house).
- You are going to need to take out the bulkhead to check timing.

OH THAT REMINDS ME
Check your Spark Plug wiring.  If that is OFF, you'll get a condition
like you describe.  I've done it myself several times.  All you have
to do is get two wires crossed and it will run like crap (depending on
which wires you cross).  Pay very close attention to the wiring order,
There is a specific firing order for a 351C.  Check it once, then
check it again.

Somebody here should be emailing a link to a diagram shortly.

Do all that, and then tell us what you find.

Asa Jay

Quoting LEVITT1946 at aol.com: