[DeTomaso] Coolant Temperature

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Fri Sep 5 20:03:14 EDT 2008

I was looking through a book called Power Secrets by Smokey Yunick this
evening.  He states that running an engine at 180 degrees will lose between
2-3 HP.  Max horsepower was achieved at 220 degrees.  However, because of
how little safety margin that leaves, he recommends a coolant temp between
200 & 210 measured at the point where the coolant is returned to the
radiator.

My thermostat opens at 186 degrees and it is that temp that I see cruising
down the highway.  Giving up 2-3 HP is no big deal under those conditions.
To get more heat in the motor and oil, I set the radiator fans to not start
until the coolant entering the waterpump after the radiator is 195 degrees.
Around town and in more aggressive driving, I now see my engine temps in the
200 to 215 range measured at the front of the block.

JT