[DeTomaso] Laminova oil cooler

Paul - Home thedrol at pobox.com
Fri Sep 5 18:56:38 EDT 2008

I get it now.  (cue light bulb going on)

With the cooler plumbed into the water line leaving the engine...

1. We start off with engine, water, oil and radiator cold.
2. The engine warms up and hot water leaves the engine to the radiator
and on the way it warms up some oil.
3. Cold water cycles back into the engine, thermostat closes.
4. This cycle repeats until the water is warmed up enough to keep the
thermostat open.

The cold water heading back to the engine doesn't effect the oil at all
because the cooler is plumbed into the other water line.  So each time
the water leaves the engine, a little more heat is added to the oil.  As
long as the water is hotter than the oil.

With the cooler plumbed the other way...

1. We start off with engine, water, oil and radiator cold.
2. The engine warms up and hot water leaves the engine to the radiator.
3. Cold water cycles back into the engine and on the way it cools down
some oil, thermostat closes.
4. This cycle repeats until the water is warmed up enough to keep the
thermostat open.

Make some sense.  The only downside is that you have less temperature
differential between the hot water leaving the engine vs. the hot oil in
the oil cooler.  This makes the cooling portion of the oil cooler not as
effective.  You may also get cooler water going into the engine
depending on the capacity of the radiator.

Thanks,
Paul