[DeTomaso] Webers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Oct 26 16:01:48 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/26/08 12:27:29 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I would  like having a higher reving engine and I was told that if
> I installed roller rockers,  solid lifters ,and pushrods I could get my
> engine to redline in the 8 to 9 K range.
>
>>>HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

That is hilarious.

Here's a reality check: a good NASCAR motor will run you upwards of $50K, and
it will run in the 8 to 9K rpm range for at least 500 miles.

> So I thought with the higher revs
> and the quick throttle response of the webers I might get a sound more like
> a european exotic ( ferrari,lambo etc.) plus better perfomance. Is my
> mechanic blowing exhaust up my ass or is there any truth to  this?
>

>>>You made an astute observation about your car's existing exhaust--it
sounds like a boat.   In fact, it sounds almost *exactly* like a boat, and nothing
like an exotic Italian car.   That's one of the main reasons I hate that
exhaust (although I freely admit that it functions well enough in terms of
delivering horsepower).

ANSA exhausts can be power-robbers (although apparently much can be regained
by modifing them internally), but they sound totally different, and better.
Good enough for me to forgo the extra power (at least for the moment!)

Your throttle response probably won't be markedly different with Webers
versus a quality carburetor or fuel injection setup.   That is (to a large degree)
dictated by rotating mass.   Lightened bottom end assembly
(crank/rods/pistons), skeletonized aluminum flywheel will let it zing like a superbike.   However
it will be much more difficult (perhaps even miserable) to drive on the
street.

Cars have flywheels for a reason, you know....

As to your mechanic, well, if he genuinely believes that simply changing
rocker arms and lifters will instantly enable you to turn 9000 rpm on a stock
bottom end, then it's time to get a different mechanic! :>)