[DeTomaso] GM

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 14:50:24 EDT 2008

    I worked for Hughes Aircraft before GM bought the company and until shortly after they destroyed it and made a profit.  The worst part was how upper management miss represented their plans to the employees.  We were continually told that GM would not break up Hughes, basically so we wouldn't leave, and then the dreaded "for shareholder profit" news came and the resulting breakup of the company.  I don't know how companies can get away with lying to employees about their intentions, but it seems to happen all the time.  I know that the companies generally offer some compensation which is a fraction of the lost pensions, and extract a signed agreement from the soon to be unemployed, but it sure seems like there would be some liability.  I have never liked unions (I guess because they seem to eventually be run by crooks) but this is one instance where the employees deserve a lot more than they get, and will never get fair treatment without
 some form of organization.

    I came out a lot better than most (never really been out of work since 11th grade, except for college), but a lot of people at Hughes were really screwed by GM.

Ken