[DeTomaso] clutch?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Nov 27 14:30:38 EST 2008

Biggest single problem with heavy clutches is designing linkage so human legs
can push the pedal in, with the second requirement for enough plate travel to
mimimize clutch drag. With a 3K plate, you're going to need a rather long
lever arm and most cars don't have that much room floor-to-dashboard. Two things
I suggest: adapt a small vacuum-power unit such as our paralytic Pantera
member uses on his hand-controlled clutch (MItsubishi, I think), or use a
double-or-triple-disc clutch to divide the load. Or both.
An allied problem with really heavy clutches is, the reacted force from
disengaging a clutch- however we do it- ends up pushing against the crankshaft
thrust bearing, and on many engines, that bearing surface is not very large nor
very well lubricated especially at low rpms, so some thought in this area will
pay dividends later. As we all know, excess wear on the thrust bearing means
crank motion back & forth, which then means rod bending, and that only happens
for a short time before loud expensive noises start. Good luck- J Deryke