[DeTomaso] clutch?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Nov 27 14:46:32 EST 2008

The std Chev diaphragm clutch is known as a 'straight-finger' diaphragm, and
that type usually called for a radiused-face throwout bearing so disengagement
forces were more-or-less linear. Using a flat-faced throwout bearing on a
straight-finger clutch gives the non-linear results you describe, due to the
ever-changing angles between the fingers and the throwout bearing surface.
Centerforce pressure plates use a bent-finger diaphragm that does give a more linear
disengagement with a flat-face throwout. So the pedal feeling won't be quite
the same, and radiused-face throwout bearings are not common for a ZF mount
system, but could be adapted, I guess. FWIW, I got this tip from Mac Tilton who
has built a few clutches in his day.... Good luck- J Deryke