[DeTomaso] Tires

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat May 31 16:38:23 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/30/08 3:08:33 PM, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:
snip.....
> As far as that 245/50ZR15 Dunlop SP Sport 8000 is concerned, it would NOT
> be a good tire for a Pantera with stock 7's and 8's. The overall diameter is
> approx. 2" less than a 295/50-15- almost identical to the original [rear] tire
> diameter. That means your tires won't fill the [rear] wheel wells, and
> they'll look too small for the car.

It doesn't fit the rear very well but does correct several ongoing Pantera
problems if mounted in front. The 8" Campy wheel is a bolt-on fit up front and
the wider tire clears with minor hammer-contouring of the front inner wheelwell
area, maximizing front traction on an otherwise unaltered narrow body. An 8"
Campy up front reduces the stock Pantera scrub-radius tire drag one gets with
the 7" Campy, making steering easier in spite of the larger tire. The 7" wheel
is really restricted to a 225-50x 15, which we found to be too narrow up
front, causing understeer with bigger rear tires. Judy and I have been running a
V-rated BFG tire in 245-50, on a stock 8" Campy up front without trouble, for
at least a decade on our narrow-body '72. I may have to buy a couple of the
Dunlops and stockpile them in a cool place, as my old BFGs are also now
unavailable. Thanks- J Deryke