[DeTomaso] COOLING SYSTEM PRESSURE CAP VALUES / Dick Ruzzin

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed May 21 13:10:12 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/20/08 6:52:00 PM, Dickruzzindesign at aol.com writes:

> I think I remember in 1969 that may car came with a seven pound cap. I kept
> raising it to move the boiling point up as I struggled to cool the car.
> Sixteen pounds works but now that it cools very well I think that lower
> pressure would facilitate coolant movement, front to rear and back.

7 psi sound right. A stock Euro cap is rated for 0.90 F.I. M(?) 16 psi is
what many of us use. More pressure does nothing for or against water circulation;
it only changes the pressure where the cap lifts up and vents excess
water/pressure to the overflow. NASCAR mechanics run as high as 26 psi with no water
flow problems, but for this much pressure, you better have a strong cooling
system or blown hoses, tubes in the radiator or weak heater cores will all
rupture. Good luck- J Deryke