[DeTomaso] Autopsy

Paul - Home thedrol at pobox.com
Mon May 19 17:25:22 EDT 2008

I see two possibilities.

1. The rod bearings were already wearing out before you got to the BBOR.
  The engine blew because of a bearing failure as opposed to something
being sucked into the intake.

2. As part of the engine blowing, it opened up an oil journal and caused
a lack of oil pressure.  The engine is still spinning but now without
the appropriate amount of oil, resulting in excessive wear.  There is
more wear on 3&7, because those rods aren't moving around like they
should because there is a piston missing and the one rod is spaghetti.

I would think that #2 seems like a long shot due to the limited amount
or revolutions the engine probably made after it blew.

Paul