[DeTomaso] Time capsule P-car on Ebay

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri May 16 16:48:16 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/16/08 13 41 9, P6746 at aol.com writes:

> I bought my car #6746 from the original owner in 1982 with 13,007  miles.
> The only differences I could find between mine and the e-Bay  car, besides
> dirt
> and crud, were the plate on the lower rear crossmember, the  shift lever
> handle, the battery holddown bar and the mastercylinder.   However, I don't
> know
> why the mastercylinder would have been changed, my  original has given me no
> trouble and is supposedly rebuildable, and it  necessitated the turning of
> the
> windshield washer bottle.
>
>>>The original *brake* master isn't rebuildible, although the clutch is.
(However, since new factory clutch masters are so cheap there's no point in
going through the agony of rebuilding an original).

If a car is allowed to sit for protracted periods of time, rust can develop
in the bottom of the master cylinder bore (and the brake calipers too).   Then,
when the brakes are applied, the rubber seals are dragged over the rust,
which tears them and causes the master to bypass (leak internally), which means
problematic brakes.

So, over the hedge it goes.

Replacement stock masters weren't widely available before recently, which is
why an aftermarket unit was chosen.   If that was my car, I'd be pulling it
out and putting a 'factory' replacement in, just as a matter of principle.   I'd
also deep-six that aluminum shift knob, both for practical reasons (I hate
them) and in an effort to keep the car 100% original, as opposed to 99.7%.