[DeTomaso] Ball joint extraction question

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Thu May 15 20:59:43 EDT 2008

There are 2 good ways and one bad way.

One way is to whack the sides of the spindle with 2 hammers.  One hammer
stays still - like a mini-anvil.  The other hammer does the whacking.  It
causes the ball joint to pop out of the spindle - works with tie-rods too.
It's pretty cool the first time you see it done.  If you haven't seen it
done, I wouldn't try it.

The other good way is with a ball-joint/tie-rod removal tool - pickle fork.
You can rent one at Autozone for about $5.  I bought one at Autozone for
about $15.  I'm guessing on the prices, of course, but I remember them being
very low.  The only negative is you'll most likely tear the rubber boot on
the ball joint.  Not a big deal if you're replacing them.

The bad way is to thread a nut on the ball joint and whack it out with a
hammer.  It works, but you'll be ashamed to tell anyone you did it.

Will.