[DeTomaso] Ball joint extraction question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 15 21:26:56 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/15/08 17 28 37, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> I am by myself but the ball joint is as easy to move by hand as possible.
> I can move it around with only an index finger.
> I think it is only 12 and 6 o'clock loose.
>
> How in the hell do you get the ball joint out of the spindle?  Boy you were
> right about not worrying about it rounding out the spindle!!!
> Yes the nuts, bolts, cotter pins etc are removed.  It is in there tight. I
> am using liquid wrench and hammer.  Not working.
>

>>>Well, since you're not keeping the ball joint, the preferred tool is a
pickle fork, a.k.a. ball joint removal tool!

If you would be re-using them, then you would rent a proper front end
maintenance kit from your local auto parts store, which has a *real* ball joint
removal tool.  This is the kit that everybody rents for $5 a day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PITMAN-ARM-BALL-JOINT-5-PC-FRONT-END-REMOVER-TO
OL-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63703QQihZ014QQitemZ330236095152

The tool on the left is used (inverted) to remove the steering tie rod end
from the spindle arm, but it also works perfectly to remove the upper ball
joint.  In use, the rod is threaded out to create space, the tapered fork is
hammered into the join between the top of the spindle and the boot of the ball
joint, and then the bolt is tightened against the underside of the ball joint
(leave the nut partially threaded on the ball joint, with part of the nut exposed,
so that it serves as a means of centering the bolt on the ball joint).  As you
tighten the bolt, it pushes up on the ball joint, while the hooked fork is
holding onto the spindle.  Eventually BAM it pops free.

If you're talented you can whang both sides of the spindle at the same time
with hammers and it will pop right out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX7GVWcB-bg&feature=related

I've never been successful at this, but have watched it done with amazement.