[DeTomaso] Shifter rattle / Dick Ruzzin

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue May 13 01:47:25 EDT 2008

I once was surprised by an 'odd' noise in a Pantera at a Nor-Cal tech
session. We pulled the firewall cover & access hatch (infinitely easier than in a
'Goose, I realize) and the noise from the running engine was defintely coming
from inside the timing chain cover. Pulling the water pump, balancer & cover, we
saw the stock-type cam chain had stretched so much, it was touching the inside
of the front of the block, making the odd noise we'd heard. The inside of the
block was shiny from being polished by the chain which had 25,000 miles on
it. Why it hadn't jumped a tooth or three, I dunno. FWIW- J DeRyke