[DeTomaso] Shifter rattle / Dick Ruzzin

Dickruzzindesign at aol.com Dickruzzindesign at aol.com
Mon May 12 19:55:00 EDT 2008

I also have a rattle in my Mangusta shifter. It started as a strong loud
rattle in first gear only, under full throttle acceleration. If I pushed the gear
lever forward slightly while accelerating it diminished.

I then had to put new bearings in my jackshaft, I thought it would go away.
Wrong, I now get it in all gears, not as strong, under mild acceleration.

I have four u-joints in the shift linkage. One is close to the shift lever,
the next two are along side the engine block, held in place by two ball joints
and the forth is the connection to the shifter box on the transaxle.
I believed it was in the shift linkage and laced the u-joints with small
strips of rubber. No change in the noise but the shifting is smoother.

If I pull my ashtray out I can put my fingers down on the shift rod when the
rattle occurs and I feel no vibration of any kind.

It sounds like the engine rocked over and one of the pulleys is riding on
something. I see no evidence of that or interference of the shift rods.

I am starting to think that it might be one of the idler pulleys in the front
belt system although I checked them and found no play of any kind.
It sounds like it is directly behind the firewall.
I suppose it could be the timing chain or harmonic balancer, the water pump
is relatively new.

It is disturbing not to be able to figure it out. I would appreciate any
ideas.

All the best,
Dick Ruzzin,______________________DickruzzinDESIGN at aol.com
920 Whittier Rd.
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
Home: +313-824-0539, Cell: +313-300-9558