[DeTomaso] Paint job cost

P. Rimov rimov at charter.net
Mon May 5 00:12:48 EDT 2008

To have your car painted to a very good level repaint as you describe you
are looking at $8,000 to $10,000. Just the paint,primers, sealers, plastic
filler, sand paper and other supplies will set you back about $2,000 to
$3,000 now a days. Paint has really gotten expensive and if you go with 3M
or Glasuit add an extra $1000. Also figure any where between 6 months to 2
years for the shop to complete the work. For some reason once some one has
mastered their craft they are so brain dead from the toxic fumes they are
unable to work on the project without taking on several other jobs while
working on your car and become quickly distracted by every imaginable
interruptions conceivable. I can appreciate that there are cheaper shops
depending on your location and yes there are exceptions to the time it often
takes to have your car painted, but keep in mind that you get what you pay
for when it comes to having a car painted and a lot of the detail work is
often overlooked with thrifty budgeted repaints.

I did all my disassembly and stripping myself. I then worked under the
supervision of a very competent body man that has been doing street rods and
customs for years.  I did not spray the car myself but did all the prepwork
before each and every coat of sealer, primer,  base coat and clear. I
enjoyed the disassembly and stripping the body to bare metal and enjoyed
much of the metal work but sanding and cutting the skim coat and spraying
the car was not very enjoyable.  Check out what a $250.000 paint job
involves http://mototechnique.com/250GTO_p1.php

Cheers

Paul