[DeTomaso] Paint job cost

Dave Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Mon May 5 00:23:44 EDT 2008

Even if you want to buy some stuff and do the job yourself, it can get
quite expensive.  Just the cost of materials alone, Paint, Thinner, Sanding
stuff, Body filler, Polishing compounds, can run up to $2000.  Then the
equipment, Large Compressor, Sanders, Welder, Paint gun, etc can run
another $2000 or more.  Just recently I paid $600 for a new SATA RP Digital
spray gun alone.  I have over $1000 worth of air tools just for body work.
It sounds like a lot of money for tools, but with the first job, they are
paid for.  I even recently bought a Valve Grinder to do engine work because
valve work at the machine shop is getting so expensive.

Either way, in the paint job world, you get what you pay for.  It can be
done reasonable with simple tools, and lower cost materials, but it will be
just a street paint job.  There are some cheap lines of paint and if you
can find someone from south of the border who paints on the side, you might
bet away with $2000-$3000 total.

Dave "I can only afford Myself" D

At 07:58 PM 5/4/2008 -0700, you wrote:
>David,
>
>  What part of the country do you live in? That is a huge determining
factor as to price. In California, prices for a windows out, media blasted
paint job can easily run $10-15K , while next door in Arizona, prices are
generally $2-4K less. I have heard of very nice paint work in the South and
Mid-West costing $6-8K.

>  Unless you are Paul Rimov or Weldon Brown (amongst a cast of capable
others), and are willing to tackle the job yourself, it is not a
inexpensive proposition.