[DeTomaso] Fantastic fiberglass Pantera parts score

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Mar 8 21:37:13 EST 2008

In a message dated 3/8/08 9:19:18 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> What I think would make a lot of sense is a fire wall back kit for cars
> with severe damage (or rust) behind the firewall. You could include beefed up
> replacement rocker panels to tie into a new rear sub frame, and either have a
> GT40 style one piece rear body section or the typical fenders and rear deck.
> I think something like this would be less work than building a kit car, and
> would arguably still be a Pantera with an original VIN.  I don't know how many
> cars currently are in storage with damage this would address, but I think
> severe damage to the rear is a common enough event to make this worth doing.

Good suggestion. Ted Mitchell has a lift-back rear clip (possibly the rear
end of a Long & Newman body) mounted on a drag-racing real-Pantera he built in
the '80s, and I know of one-piece clips for certain hi-buck limited production
cars such as the Lambo Miura. I can see this being possible, with extensive
bracing added to the stock subframes- for a damaged Pantera or Mangusta. Or for
a racer. FWIW- J DeRyke