[DeTomaso] Electrical Gremlins still live!

RKMosier at aol.com RKMosier at aol.com
Sun Mar 2 21:30:47 EST 2008

Michael,

1- Check to make sure the wire from the alt that runs to the alt light on
the dash is connected well.  That was one problem I had.  In trying to  trace
the problem I even ran a long jumper wire from the alt to the back of the  dash
to make sure I didn't have a broken wire somewhere.

2- I don't know about your car, but my 72 Pre L has a diode behind the dash
hooked up to the alt light.  This is part of the way the alt know to charge
the battery.  If that diode is loose or broken the alt will not charge I
suspect. I did not have this problem but Wilkinson suggested checking it  when I
called for help.  Also I found that when my alt stopped charging  because of the
3rd problem, this diode got really really hot.  So hot that  I was worried
it might burn some thing.

 3- On my alt with the regulator inside I had to hook up a two wire  plug the
new alternator.  First I bought the $1.99 one from Autozone and it  didn't
make a good connection.  A local mechanic gave me the $6.00 version  made in the
good old USA and it worked perfect.

Richard Mosier

In a message dated 3/2/2008 5:45:20 P.M. Pacific Standard Time (Mexi,