[DeTomaso] MDs Radiator

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 19:58:34 EDT 2008

Hmmm..... are we referring to to the same GT5 that I ran at Vegas, which too showed 140F on the water temp, when oil was showing 280F....which to me suggests don't believe everything a water gauge might tell you.

Julian

Message: 27Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 01:30:08 EDTFrom: JDeRyke at aol.comSubject: Re: [DeTomaso] MDs RadiatorTo: kenn_green at yahoo.com, detomaso at realbig.comMessage-ID: <c27.3bb19ab6.35875460 at aol.com>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Thanks, Ken. I always wondered what the actual specs were. FWIW, another thing that apparently works- at least on a few Panteras- is NO THERMOSTAT at all! Running a GT-5 with no thermostat in Arizona, the owner could not get the temp gauge to show more than 120 degrees in high summer, until he hit the open track at Pahrump a couple of years ago. Then it went to 140 degrees- finally. Coldest running 351-C I ever saw, with a stone-stock radiator. The fans also never came on in this car. I've talked to a couple of other owners that noticed this, and we also think the main problem in Panteras is flow restriction, NOT radiator size, fan mounting area, super-wow-wow waterpumps or witchcraft. The confusion seems be multiplied due to some brands of thermostats flowing better than others when open, regardless of temperature rating. I've been meaning to investigate this in Judy's car using the old flathead Ford trick of washers with different sizes holes thru them in place of a thermostat. Now that our weather is warming (we still have snow next to the roads in some areas), I may have an opportunity. Cheers- J Deryke