[DeTomaso] Ignition Switch

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 14:29:57 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/9/08 11 18 9, scscottc at gmail.com writes:

> Well looks like my ignition switch has died on me.. while I have no problem
> ordering from a Pantera vendor I would at least take the chance that someone
> would be able to recommend an alternative part number that would be
> available locally first.
>
> Anyone know of a part number at NAPA or Car Quest etc that would work?  I
> have a '71 Pre L #1523.

What you need is a switch for a 1971-1973 Mercury Capri.   They are available
from Capri parts sources (do some Googling) for a fair bit less than De
Tomaso sources.

The ignition switch has two components--mechanical and electrical.   What
exactly is the problem you are suffering?   Before changing the switch I would
rule out all other possiblities, then replace just the defective half if
possible.

Unless you are having a purely mechanical problem with the switch, I suspect
the problem might lie elsewhere....