[DeTomaso] Cutting chrome tips

William duz185 at ori.net
Sat Jan 12 15:37:55 EST 2008

Thanks guys for all your advise. When I bought the car in 2006, it had some custom made mufflers that were rusting and bent very poorly. They were also hanging too low and they would shake, but there was no way to connect a bracket and hold them with a rubber hanger. I removed them and brought some Hall big bores, but when I went to connect them to the collector, the collector flange swallowed the big bores. Now I knew the headers were either GTS or Mind Train. I purchased a set of GTS exhaust gaskets to check the flange and bold arrangement, and they were also not right. Then, as luck would have it, a set of Mind Trains went up for sale  3 miles from where I work. I took one of my old gaskets to see how it fit on the flange, and it was perfect! I found my Cinderella mufflers. I did not know that Mind Train made mufflers for pre and post L. At the time I didn't care, I was ecstatic to have found something that fit (and sounded great!).  I understand that Mind Trains are no longer made, so the chance of finding a set for pre-l will be remote. I don't want my tips to rust, so what I might do is cut the tips where they connect to the muffler, cut the tips in half, then have them re-welded to the muffer. That way the ends of the tips are left unaltered.

-William

being a Pre-L, the tips are way tool long and I'd like to cut them. What's
the best way to cut them and achieve the cleanest cut? 12" cutting wheel on
a miter saw? Hacksaw?