[DeTomaso] 351 C Compression Question

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Tue Dec 9 10:06:08 EST 2008

Dear Jack and Tom,

I have in my files an article from some hot rod magazine about two allegedly comparable and similar 351C engines. One was built with quench heads and the other was built with open chambered heads. They alleged that the open heads made almost as much power as the quench heads. Interesting. It goes against conventional wisdom. It might be true and it might not. I have been educated that the dyno "tests" in many publications bear as much similarity to the real world and does the view from government! My suspiscion is that properly chosen components can permit reasonable power from open heads, but less than quench.

Warmest regards, Chuck Engles