[DeTomaso] Steering rack adventures

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 17:49:07 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/4/08 1:16:39 PM, MikeLDrew writes:

> I used to use oil until Relay Rick consulted with a TRW engineer who was
> involved in these things (TRW bought Cam Gears and later made the same rack
> under their own name).....

And what's the difference in TRW racks? Different steel or what? Remember
that OEMs often have different priorities than owners. For instance, the practice
of using automatic trans fluid in early '80s 4 speeds to cut frictional drag
and raise the CAFE rating. Owners of Corvettes and Z-28s wound up in the
warranty bays of many dealers, but on average, Chevrolet made out on the choice of
lube- which was wrong for performance machines. There are other similar
examples. I suggest if you're using grease in your rack rebuilds, you totally
disavow any connection with POCA, for the Board's liability purposes! Good luck- J
Deryke