[DeTomaso] Steering rack adventures

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 16:16:39 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/4/08 13 09 44, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> Hopefully the practice of using axle grease in a steering rack was not the
> base cause of excess rack/ pinion wear? From what I can see, using grease
> here
> only allows one to use leaky or badly-adapted steering rack boots, which
> seems
> like attacking the wrong end of a leak problem....
> FWIW-   J DeRyke (with 80W90 in all my racks)

Well, the OEMs switched to grease long ago.   I used to use oil until Relay
Rick consulted with a TRW engineer who was involved in these things (TRW bought
Cam Gears and later made the same rack under their own name).   He said TRW
now uses grease for a variety of reasons.

I believe Roland's new racks come filled with oil though.   Roland?