[DeTomaso] CHI Head weeping

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 28 09:19:11 EDT 2007

On the intake face?

The rearmost and forwardmost intake manifold bolts probably thread into the
water jacket.  Some intakes block these, some don't.

Mine (A3 heads) thread into the water jacket at the front and rear, but the
front of the intake blocks the holes with bolts, the rear uses allen head
plugs.

I don't recall what the stock iron heads do.  I thought they were completely
dry at the intake face.  Maybe this is just for some of the aluminum heads.

The intake gasket should seal this.  I'd try loosening all of the intake
bolts, and then retorqueing them in sequence.  Make sure you get them all
good and tight.  I had one a little loose once, and it was sucking oil into
the engine.  The only symptom was pinging when it shouldn't ping.

If that's not it, my next guess would be porosity problems with the
aluminum.

Will.