[DeTomaso] gas tank question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 4 13:05:35 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/2/07 20 43 4, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> >A possibly better way is to terminate the vent hose into the bottom of your
> >air cleaner, using a little Fram vent-tube filter (stock on the OEM air
> >cleaner). That will burn any fumes, and will apply an ever-so-slight vacuum
> >to the
> >hose to ensure all fumes get 'used'. Our Pantera has been rigged this way a
> >very
> >long time- since smog-testing was required- and works just fine with zero
> >gas
> >odor. Of course, you do need to cut a small hole in the filter base.
>

>>>I'm about to tackle this job, as I have one of Bobby Byar's Ford-source
tank vent rollover valve deals right here in front of me.

He advised me just now to just run the vent hose between the tank and the
tank shield, all the way to the ground.   When filling the car, when the pump
clicks off, don't top it off.   If you run the vent hose to the air cleaner and
overfill the tank, it will pump the gas into the air cleaner, possibly leading
to a fire.   Or, if you fill the tank when it's cold, and park in the sun,
heat expansion could pump gas through the vent and into the air cleaner.

Although it's not 'green', it makes sense to just vent to the ground.

Mike (whose existing vent doesn't seal properly to the top of the tank, and
thus dumps gas all over the top of the tank which then pours (not vents) to the
ground)