[DeTomaso] Checking Steering Rack

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Wed Oct 31 10:16:47 EDT 2007

Mike,

The biggest problem is that you're trying to drive in the state of
Washington.  Known to most over the road truck drivers as the worst
highway state in the union, mostly because of the dual grand canyon ruts
on many roads that cause almost any vehicle to do what you have described.

As for the steering rack, you should be able to check it on dry
pavement.  Have you replaced the steering rack bushing on the passenger
side?  If not, turn the wheel some, reach down and man-handle the rack
to see if you can get any up and down, front to back play.  If you can,
then you need a new bushing.

Mike Drew can explain it much better than I.
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA