[DeTomaso] Checking Steering Rack

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Wed Oct 31 12:33:42 EDT 2007

Mike,

	With those monster front tires you have on the front, it's no wonder your
getting wander (hey that wonder/wander phrase is kinda catchy).  Assuming
your rack bushing has been replaced, there are at least three things you can
do:

1) Make sure your front end is not set for ANY toe out.  While some toe out
is the hot setup for low speed cornering (like autocross), it's not the best
for freeway and open track use.  For least wander you want about 1/8" front
toe-in.

2) Set your camber to between 0 and 1/4 degree positive.  While this will
not give you max cornering power, it will give you less wander.

3) Go for the maximum amount of caster you can get by going to offset
bushings and/or machining 0.1" from the rear of the upper balljoints and
replacing the lost space with a 0.1" shim at the front of each upper
balljoint (you can thank Jack DeRyke this modification idea).

All this being said, I don't practice what I preach above because I prefer
to maximize cornering ability.  I run 2 degrees negative camber and 1/8" toe
out which is murder on the freeway for wander.  But the 0.1" balljoint mod I
made sure did help reduce the wander.  Offset bushings are probably next on
my list.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505