[DeTomaso] Jay Lenos E85 powered Vette

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Oct 30 13:43:36 EDT 2007

I realize most of you are only joking about this, but-we actually tried it
and had trouble with commercial 10% alcohol in gasoline in CA. Adding alky
changes the density of the fuel, and the 11:1 engine not only wouldn't start on the
starter, it pinged and pre-ignited at fast-idle, not from low octane but from
leanness- apparently the stuff wouldn't flow thru the idle jets in enough
quantity to keep the motor running and ran awful on the main jets. If you want to
be 'greener', figure on a lengthy rejetting session and probably some timing
changes if the engine has been at all changed from stone-stock. At the end, it
may be worth it if there's lots of stations around your area, but if not,
carry a flashlight, tools, jets and a notebook on the 'plain-gas' tune and the
'e-85' tune, if you're on the road. Mr Leno doesn't seem to drive very long
distances- usually flying in & borrowing someone's car if he goes out of downtown
Burbank, and likely has a good towing service included on his fleet insurance
policy. Good luck- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's new at http://www.aol.com</HTML>