[DeTomaso] Pantera Servo Steering System

Curt Hall cuvee at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 26 14:53:32 EDT 2007

Bill...

  Just curious...
  What would the back spacing on an 8 inch wheel be in the perfect world?
  What is to much? I think the 8 inch Campy BS is about 5.25". You and Jack agree this wheel for the front is much better then the 7" ( easier steering) The reason I ask is I'm thinking of getting new wheels down the road and have a choice for the front, 17X8..BS..5.24 or 17X9..BS..5.95. With these two choices what would be the best choice?, or some place in the middle?

  Another old guy
  Curt

SOBill at aol.com wrote:
  Jack,

The Pantera has over 3 inches of scrub radius, so swapping on to 8 inch
wheel will reduce the scrub by around 30%. I have tried this and the improvement
is very clear.

Getting the scrub radius down to around 1 inch would solve the problem of
heavy steering (for old guys, like me) and steering kickback over bumps.

But, wheels which have the correct offset would move them inboard so far
they would look funny relative to the wheel wells and they would rub on the
frame big time in tight turns. To move the wheels back out, you would need longer
a-arms and tierods. And since you are changing wheels you might as well go
up in size and also get 4 new tires.

So power steering is a way to just overpower (pun intended) the problem.

For sure the MR2 system would be simpler than the S2000.

Have fun,

SOBill Taylor
sobill at aol.com