[DeTomaso] Pantera Servo Steering System

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 19:42:11 EDT 2007

Jack,

The Pantera has over 3 inches of scrub radius, so swapping on to 8  inch
wheel will reduce the scrub by around 30%. I have tried this and the  improvement
is very clear.

Getting the scrub radius down to around 1 inch would solve the  problem of
heavy steering (for old guys, like me) and steering kickback over  bumps.

But, wheels which have the correct offset would move them inboard  so far
they would look funny relative to the wheel wells and they would rub on  the
frame big time in tight turns. To move the wheels back out, you  would need longer
a-arms and tierods. And since you are changing wheels you  might as well go
up in size and also get 4 new tires.

So power steering is a way to just overpower (pun intended) the  problem.

For sure the MR2 system would be simpler than the  S2000.

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor
sobill at aol.com