[DeTomaso] Pantera Servo Steering System

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 14:53:20 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/24/07 4:47:45 PM, SOBill at aol.com writes:

> An alternative is an electro hydraulic system: electric pump and hydraulic
> rack and pinion.

Such as is stock on the '91-'95 MR-2s. The pump is electrically driven by a
motor the size of a starter, mounted up front next to the power rack. The hoses
are all about a foot long so response is immediate and the rack and pump are
matched sizes. Additionally, there is a brain-box that controls the degree of
response- more boost at low road speeds and less at higher speeds. Its
designed for an electronic speedometer but my engineer-friend built emulators for the
required sensors, so this system is now on a road-racing GTP car with 12"
wide gumball tires and works well. These units are popular with off-road racers
too; I know of a couple running on Datsun 510 rally cars.

But simply changing stock 7" Pantera front wheels to ones with zero scrub
radius such as with the 8x 15" Campagnolos, steering effort drops markedly. MY
5'4" wife has no trouble on 8-hr drives in our Pantera. Cheers- J DeRyke