[DeTomaso] Dipstick length

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Oct 21 19:56:45 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/21/07 4:01:40 PM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> Let me know what you think about my dipstick's length.

The early cars came with dipsticks that were too long.   They were supposed
to be corrected when the car went to the dealer for service, but if the owner
wasn't a dealer-service kind of guy, it wouldn't have been fixed.   When the
dipstick was shortened, the handle was painted yellow to signify that it had
been done (and all Panteras coming off the production line thereafter had yellow
handles).

The length should be exactly 38 inches.   This is regardless of the type of
oil pan, because the only thing the dipstick is measuring is the height of the
oil below the crankshaft.

Now, it's *possible* that if you have a completely aftermarket dipstick *and*
tube, that the length could be correct as they could have been sold as a
matched pair.   But that's a very unlikely scenario.   Almost assuredly you just
have a stock dipstick that was never fixed.