[DeTomaso] RRORR vs. Mangusta 8MA898 Report... The Rest ofthe Story....

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Oct 20 16:47:28 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/20/07 1:13:59 PM, Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Doop, I checked the wrong entry.
>
>  I have 1294 as this one, (photo attached) also in the Registry.
>  So is this the same car?
>

>>>Yup, same one.   Freddie had been racing it hard, yet it was as rotton as
a peach underneath--riddled with chassis rust.   George Gordon-Smith spared no
expense in its restoration.   He had the goofy spoiler removed, but kept the
big flares in the back.   He had custom wheels made, and made the unfortunate
decision to have them made in 16-inch, meaning tire selection is practically
nil these days.

He had it painted an Aston Martin color, California Sage Green, which is
absolutely beautiful.   It did prove to be a mistake however, because he was
driving the car in a place where the whole damn country was California Sage Green,
rendering himself literally invisible to other motorists.   After a few close
calls he took to driving with the headlights on at all times.

He had a beautiful, one-off stainless steel 180-degree exhaust fitted, so it
sounds exactly like a GT40--totally bitchin'.   The motor when he got the car
was a very radical, full-race unit, so he had it detuned a bit to make it more
driveable.   It has a 302 with SVO aluminum heads.

After banging the bellhousing once too many times, he took a rather radical
step and had the entire engine and gearbox raised up two inches.   While this
didn't do any favors in the handling department, it undoubtedly delivered some
peace of mind.   He really had little other choice, because he wasn't able to
buy tires tall enough to lift the car up where it was when it was stock.