[DeTomaso] Oil Pressure Problems - Resolution

Orville Burg, II Orville at Rubyglass.com
Mon Oct 8 01:48:58 EDT 2007

Gray and I pulled the oil pan Friday and found the oil pump functional. The
outlet of the pump was partially blocked by the gasket. Since a new pump was
on hand, it was installed. There were no metal shavings or other debris in
the oil pan other than a single small polished piece of steel about ¾” long
by 3/16” wide, and curled slightly.

Removal of the valve covers revealed that the pushrod to the inlet valve on
#1 cylinder was missing. Removal of the intake manifold and the “turkey
tray” provided a view of the location of both pieces of the pushrod, as well
as the Crane anti-pump up lifter which had exited from its appointed
position. Apparently a small part of the inner spring on the intake valve
broke, which jammed the rocker arm, breaking the pushrod, which fell onto
the top of the block, which allowed the lifter to come out and create a big
hole for oil to drain, substantially reducing the oil pressure to zero.

We did check the compression in the #1 cylinder to check for possible valve
damage and I was very pleased to find 150 # on that cylinder.

I was very lucky to have dodged the bullet, and prevent the grenade from
going off.

Orville

  _____