[DeTomaso] Techno question: New clutch & slave adjustment

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 18 01:36:51 EDT 2007

The slave cylinder shouldn't have any free-play as it's hydraulic.  Air in
the hydraulic system could give the appearance of free play, though pumping
the pedal should make it go away temporarily.  Adjusting the slave cylinder
rod just moves the slave piston back and forth and basically allows more or
less fluid into the slave cylinder.  Lengthening the rod moves the piston
toward the top of the cylinder, squashing fluid ahead of it out and back
into the master cylinder reservoir.  Shortening the rod does the opposite,
with more fluid entering the slave cylinder from the master to take up the
space vacated by the piston moving downward.  This extra fluid movement only
happens immediately after the rod adjustment (once), not every time the
pedal is pushed.

Without seeing it, it sounds like the lever on the splined clutch shaft may
need to be moved.  To remove mechanical play in the clutch linkage within
the bellhousing, the lever should be rotated toward the slave cylinder.
Start with only one spline worth of rotation, as that will be considerable
amount of arc on the end of the lever.  It's easier to keep track of where
everything is if you mark the lever and the spot on the shaft with a sharpie
first.

Where in the desert?  I'm in Muscat, Oman - which is on the southeastern end
of the Arabian Peninsula.  Muscat is actually a multi-environment city, on
the shore of the Arabian Sea (touching the Indian Ocean) with a mountain
range that runs right down to the shoreline.  It's fairly scenic actually.
The main desert (the Lawrence of Arabia kind of desert) is just on the
inland side of the mountains 30 miles away or so, though there are localized
but large sand dunes nearby.  We passed though the big desert a few weeks
ago on the way south to visit a sea turtle preserve on the southern coast
and actually passed 15 or 20 camels gliding through the sand (they really do
move like 'ships of the desert').

I haven't seen or heard of any Panteras in Oman though.  I'll keep an eye
out.

Muscat Dave