[DeTomaso] Minimum Battery Size?

GW gow2 at rc-tech.net
Wed Oct 3 20:37:09 EDT 2007

My Airplane began life with a Ni cad battery. Problem with Ni cad
batteries is that when they weaken they get warm during the charge
cycle. They get to a point where the system will continue to try to
charge it until it self destructs. It can actually burn through the wing
and drop out of the airplane. Most with these kinds of turboprops swap
to lead acid. Problem with Lead acid is not only do they vent more acid
but they do not do well at high altitudes with colder temps (-30, -40 c).

The problem I have with lead acid in cars is the acid. This has made
glass mat batteries a really cool alternative. I put them in all my
cars. One major problem is if you run them down, they are not
recoverable. If you run down a lead acid battery you may get another
6months out of it but with the glass mat battery the party is over.
Glass mat batteries also don't like trickle charging. They need current
otherwise will slowly damage the battery.

I have been messing with Lithium-ion and Li-poly batteries with R/C
aircraft for some time. I have over charged and ignited a few. Lead acid
batteries blow up due to the Hydrogen but generally don't cause fires;
just a big mess. Lithium based batteries on the other hand don't blow
up; they ignite like a fireworks. These are bad bad oozing fires!

 In general you are suppose to charge hobby based Lithium batteries in
burn proof ceramic type containers (few do). I charge them on a metal
plate and only when I am in the shop. If they ignite I run out the door
and throw them in the yard. Some have not been so lucky.

The industry is using lithium type batteries more everyday but the
scenario is different then a hobby situation in that they have
integrated smart charging systems dedicated to the devices being
charged. Batteries of all types last the longest if 1. Properly charged,
2. Not charged to the point of generating heat as heat is the beginning
of damage, and not to be run down too far. Lithium batteries can not be
run down either or they will overheat and burst on the next charge cycle.

Lithium based batteries are getting better everyday but specific
charging and discharging requirments are much much more critical.

One final note, if you throw water on a Lithium battery fire you will
accelerate the fire. \

Gary....Let's see, male goes to female so put the red wire to the black
wire right?