[DeTomaso] Minimum Battery Size?

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:39:32 EDT 2007

On 10/2/07, Chris Difani <cdifani at pacbell.net> wrote:

> One piece of information regarding the Li-Polymer batteries. They blow up.
> They can blow up if they are over charged. Sometimes by over voltage
> rather
> than over amperage. But they can self destruct.... fire, lightning, and
> other loud, expensive noises. All of which are something to be aware of...

No sense of adventure :)

Newer cells developed by A123 are "blow up" resistant.  That's why Ford and
GM are contracting with A123 for their hybrid lines coming out in 2010.  I'm
not sure what the base technology is being used for the EV-Battery guys, but
the KillaCycle guys are developing a small automotive battery based on A123
cells: http://www.killacycle.com/photos/12-volt-racing-battery/

Lead-acid has been known to blow up as well.  For heaven's sakes, be
careful!

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '71 Pantera #1382