[DeTomaso] Camshaft selection

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 16:33:00 EDT 2007

To get 500 HP from a naturally aspirated 351 cubic inch engine is
pushing the streetable envelope.  You'll want a solid lifter flat
tappet cam in the 0.600" lift range, 290+ degrees on the seat (240+
degrees @ 0.050" lift, 108 LSA) and probably a bit more compression.
You mention EFI.  Make sure it is speed density or alpha-n, not mass
air with that sort of overlap and lobe centers.

You need a really good exhaust with a narrow lobe center cam.
You mention Euro GTS mufflers.  We lost 50 HP through those on a
470 HP engine.  3" inlet/outlet Magnaflows got it all back.

You'll probably be happier with a little less cam, say 230 to 236
degrees @ 0.050" with 108 lobe centers.  I can get more specific
with a recommendation if you can tell me whether you want to use
a hydraulic or a solid cam and either roller or flat tappets.

BTW, the 185 cc heads aren't going to behave like 4V Cleveland
heads.  They will not have that comes on at 3000+ RPM.  They
will ramp up more smoothly.

Dan Jones