[DeTomaso] Camshaft selection

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Oct 1 13:38:25 EDT 2007

10-1/2:1 should be fine with the hi-octane gas you mention and the aluminum
CHI cylinder heads, but I wouldn't go higher or you could wind up being forced
to run aviation fuel or expensive racing gas, or severely retarded ignition
timing.   If a std lift roller cam and notched lifters is put into a 351-C,
you'll get 16 massive oil leaks each time the cam revolves! So, some retrofit
roller cams use cut down cam cores to keep the roller wheels from protruding into
the huge oil galleries behind the tappet bosses. The thinner camshaft will
then be a little weaker than normal and will twist under heavy valve spring
loads, which unfortunately must be used with the 351-C's   big valves and heavy
hydraulic roller lifters. Running such a cam at high revs might cause camshaft
breakage or at least give flexible camshaft timing to confuse your tuning
efforts.

What seems to work better for street cars is shrouded-roller hydraulic
lifters that use slightly smaller rollers with a lifter body that is cylindrical all
the way down past the roller wheel. So normal cam lift doesn't cause an oil
leak and a stronger normal-thickness camshaft can be used. Crane uses such
lifters on some retrofit roller cams. As always, for a specific cam for an engine,
I recommend calling a few cam grinders on their Tech Lines and asking the
people who build the things for advice.

A last note- my Ford-SVO A-3 aluminum cylinder heads specify no more than 175
lbs closed valve spring pressure. Any heavier and the hard valve seats will
begin to sink into the soft aluminum. Open pressure is not a problem. Good luck
with your build- J DeRyke