[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 40, Issue 15-700 TO 880 HP

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 11:47:15 EST 2007

Bob,

      I have a feeling that my "hard driving" would compare to your "backed down" driving, LOL.  I tend to "feel the pain" in mechanical systems I deal with.  I'm still trying to recover from seeing someone slam a door last week.

      From past posts, I was assuming that even carefull use of 1,000 HP could damage a ZF.  And if that 1,000 HP is achieved at moderate RPM (as can be done with turbos) there is a whole lot of torque being made.

  Ken

RCBSONS1 at aol.com wrote:
  Ken,
If you are real worried about the ZF holding together
ask Mr. Escahoff about his 750hp motor that keeps
twisting imput shafts... I have found that most cars
that are above 600hp and DRIVEN HARD will start breaking
things... many of my buddies have backed things down
a little so they are not fixing the car all the time.... it is
like a chain looking for the weak link... trans, clutch, half shafts,
wheel studs.... etc, etc

Backing down from 1000 to 700 or 800 hp won't make a lot
of difference if you lean on it hard

Bob Benson (tired of breaking things)