[DeTomaso] fuel cells, now race car

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 28 14:49:12 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/28/07 11:28:18, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

<< How much was it to air freight it with Lufthansa?

I'm in the process of shipping a little 1300 lb Fiat Abarth in a shared

container from Germany to Los Angeles and it looks like all the fees from

numerous sources will be over $5K, not including Duty.

Makes me wonder if I should have just air shipped it and been done with it. >>

>>>That is completely and totally absurd.  You are getting ripped off BIG
time.  Do NOT let them take you like that!

I did the RORO thing too--shipping my GT350 clone from Long Beach to Bristol,
England was about $1500 in 2004.  Shipping it back was more expensive, due to
higher taxes, but still, it was shipped from the UK to Baltimore and THEN
trucked all the way to Detroit for about $3300.

Go here:  www.movecars.com

This is a clearinghouse for all the major car shippers.  Scroll down to
international shipping for many good contacts.

I found that the cost to ship via RORO was about the same as the cost for a
shared container, but due to backlogs at the container port, I would have had
to wait an extra two months to get the car shipped by container.

RORO outfits will (I think?) move a car that doesn't run, for an extra
charge, but of course you'd be better off if they could just turn the key and drive
it on the boat.

Mike<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>