[DeTomaso] fuel cells, now race car

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Mon May 28 20:59:21 EDT 2007

 Here's a breakdown of what I have been billed or expect to be billed SO FAR:? (To be fair, along with the car there is also a crate holding two used doors.)

Transport from Germany to Rotterdam in enclosed trailer by friend of my
agent/fellow enthusiast? (It was February and there were snowstorms, rain, etc)??? ??? ??? ? $550

Transport from Rotterdam to New York by ship, then by truck to Los Angeles??? ???? ??? ??? ?? $3400

Customs X-ray then inspection by opening container in New York ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? $650

fee of Customs House Broker in LA (must use one--can't do it yourself)??  ??  ??  ??  ??? ??? ??? ??? $380

The biggest joke was the estimate from the shipping agent (not my agent/enthusiast--I mean the one who deals with the shipping line).? His original quote was for $1950 plus $200 for all paperwork and some unknown expenses on this end. Then after the car was shipped I get a note saying, "Sorry, I meant Euros, not dollars" and a bill for 2000 Euros, which is about $2800.? He must release the car from his end before I can pick it up, so I have no choice but to pay.? And as you can see, the "unknown" expenses are about $2000.? My agent couldn't get a cogent answer re why the container was coming by truck all the way across the country.

Let the buyer beware.

Jim