[DeTomaso] Deck Lid thingee needed

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Sun May 13 02:00:47 EDT 2007

Mike:

The other day we replaced a broken "decklid latch catch thingee" (like yours) with a replacement unit from Pantera Proformance. The replacement unit needed a bit of tweaking to fit, but when I was done (and Mike Drew- who got shut up inside the rear trunk area to perform the final adjustments), it was perfect. When I installed it, I installed two 8MM steel "nutserts", so that the replacement would be as close to "L" OEM as possible, both in function, and strength.

This was on an early '72 Pre L, which had had this broken latch retainer for quite some time. Somewhere I've got some pictures (I think) and would be glad to send you if you want them.

The replacement unit is formed from 16 gauge sheetmetal, and will never, ever break in the way that yours has broken. Just can't happen. Also you'll find that the replacement catch is much more robust than your original design could ever be.

And finally, if you need more info as to the details, contact Mike Drew as he was also involved in the project (and now that I've looked, he's also the one who has the pictures).

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"
Sacramento, CA